Bromyard Chamber of Commerce Minutes of Meeting February 5th. 2020
David James (Chair) welcomed everyone to the open meeting of the Chamber of Commerce.
Jack Davies (PCSO) spoke to the meeting and the following issues were highlighted:
- A need for more communication between Police and local businesses
- Issues of drug trafficking and dealing – police need to be notified with names. The establishment of an app linking businesses with the police and each other.
- The open “surgeries” at the Post Office to be re-instated.
- Behavioural issues at the “library” end of the town especially on Saturday nights.
- The importance of ringing 101 and logging concerns.
The various festivals were in planning stages and progressing well.
- Speed Festival 2020. Shelsey Walsh. May 31st.
- Town Criers’ Festival.
- Scarecrow Festival.
- Bromyard Gala – last weekend of June. Questions raised about location of site – perhaps nearer the town?
- Folk Festival.
- E.Celebrations May 8-10.
- Christmas Lights.
Future of the Chamber.
- Discussion of changes in shops in the town – more support for small businesses. Welcome pack and mentoring for new businesses.
- Pedestrianisation from Falcon Hotel to the Square – not supported.
- Virtual High Street – not supported.
- 2 hour free parking – not supported. However it was felt that a notice should be prominently displayed explaining that parking fees go the Town Council.
- Website for businesses to communicate – how to reach out to other businesses and offer support.
- Raise the profile of the Chamber Facebook page and website with links to information from Herefordshire Council.
- “All About” magazine – advents have good follow up for new businesses. Contact re. distribution in Bromyard.
- However watch out for magazine scams.
- Chamber to approach the public houses re. a “pub Watch” to communicate with each other re. problems.
- Raising money for the Christmas Lights.
- Need to recruit young people and encourage them to work in their local area.
- Need for the Chamber to support local industry as well as traders.
Minutes of the last meeting – passed.
Chairman’s Report – passed.
Treasurer’s and Membership Report – passed.
Election of Minuting Secretary – Dee Dunne-Thomas was appointed.
Date of next meeting – Wednesday March 4th. 2020.